Alexandria's founded by Alexander

Alexandria's founded by Alexander the Great (by year BC): 334 Alexandria in Troia (Turkey) - 333 Alexandria at Issus/Alexandrette (Iskenderun, Turkey) - 332 Alexandria of Caria/by the Latmos (Alinda, Turkey) - 331 Alexandria Mygdoniae - 331 Alexandria (Egypt) - 330 Alexandria Ariana (Herat, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria of the Prophthasia/in Dragiana/Phrada (Farah, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria in Arachosia (Kandahar, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria in the Caucasus (Begram, Afghanistan) - 329 Alexandria of the Paropanisades (Ghazni, Afghanistan) - 329 Alexandria Eschate or Ultima (Khodjend, Tajikistan) - 329 Alexandria on the Oxus (Termez, Afghanistan) - 328 Alexandria in Margiana (Merv, Turkmenistan) - 326 Alexandria Nicaea (on the Hydaspes, India) - 326 Alexandria Bucephala (on the Hydaspes, India) - 325 Alexandria Sogdia - 325 Alexandria Oreitide - 325 Alexandria in Opiene / Alexandria on the Indus (confluence of Indus & Acesines, India) - 325 Alexandria Rambacia (Bela, Pakistan) - 325 Alexandria Xylinepolis (Patala, India) - 325 Alexandria in Carminia (Gulashkird, Iran) - 324 Alexandria-on-the-Tigris/Antiochia-in-Susiana/Charax (Spasinou Charax on the Tigris, Iraq) - ?Alexandria of Carmahle? (Kahnu)

Monday, December 7, 2020

Alexander the Great was here, and so was I by Leonidas Argyraspid

Alexander the Great was here, and so was I by Leonidas Argyraspid (ISBN 9789090339016) is obviously my own work.

The book, as a  matter of fact, was conceived in the wake of my travels and the stories I shared on this blog. As expected, the work can be used both as a travel guide, as well as a historical guide to follow Alexander the Great on his way through history.

Since my earliest visits to Greece, Alexander was my faithful travel companion. Eventually, I was able to follow him into modern-day countries such as Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Iran and Uzbekistan.

I realized that standing on the banks of the Granicus, skirting the Zagros Mountains, or crossing the Oxus River on foot gave me a unique insight into the world Alexander conquered. Those occasions created a perspective of his whereabouts that shed an entirely new light on the events recounted otherwise.

After each trip, I returned home with scores of stories about the heritage left by Alexander and the Hellenistic Era he initiated. It is those stories that I have bundled together in my book, which I have richly illustrated with a selection from my extensive picture collection. The choice of my photographs was a difficult one but my readers can enjoy many more views by picking their choice from the Picture Gallery list on this blog.

Visitors to my blog certainly know that my travels and encounters with Alexander were a most wonderful and exhilarating experience, which I have developed further in Alexander the Great was here, and so was I.

It is with great pleasure that I share my many impressions with my appreciative audience.

P.S. For those who can’t wait, a select extract of approx. 25 pages of this book is available (free of charge) at Academia.edu.

8 comments:

  1. Great news! Bought a copy and looking forward to reading about your travels in the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please share your comments or questions when you finished reading?

      Delete
  2. Currently reading the book and I must say that I very much enjoy it. I appreciate your own descriptions of the historical places that you visited in his footsteps. Your attention to detail is very obvious and thanks to your personal reactions to the sites, the story remains interesting. I also like how you give place to your own imagination and questions, for example your description of Corinth. Thank your very much for this read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you and that you caught the essence of my story.
    Not many people take the trouble or time to leave a comment, so I appreciate it even more!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Argraspid! I love your blog (I have been lurking/stalking the articles for the past couple years now). I just ordered the book on Kobo, but am having a little difficulty reading it (I dont have a reader, I was just going to read on my pc). I think it may take 24 hours to sync or something/ Anyway, huge fan of your work, I may satisfy my curiousity with the Academia snippets in the meantime today. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great many thanks for telling me that you love my blog and my book!
      Sorry to hear about your synching problems. I don’t have a reader myself but I could download my book (and others) comfortably on my Smartphone.
      Please, don’t hesitate to share your further thoughts.

      Delete
  5. DELICIOUSLY PERSONAL (AND WITH GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY)

    Argyraspid is, as this name signifies, a true ‘silver shieldbearer’ for Alexander III, King of Makedon, King of Kings in the Achaemenid Empire, King of the Whole World as the Babylonian wizards had it. Following in the footsteps of Alexander with the same devotion of Freya Stark, Argyraspid contrives to makes that long trek an endearing personal journey, illustrated with great (and equally personal) photography.
    This book ensures many a smile of recognition from all of us Alexander-fans -- plus quite a few nice surprises, as Argyraspid carries us into places, sounds and sentiments we had not yet found (or even thought about). The viewfinder of Argyraspid's camara was wielded just as well as the remarkable research leading to this pilgrimage along Alexander's life and deeds. For all of us who know what it means to proclaim that "King Alexander lives and reigns", this book is a happy gift. I bought it as soon as it came out, and warmly recommend it to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really touched the essence of my book as I meant indeed to share the sounds, smells, and feelings of threading in Alexander's footsteps. It is mind-blowing to travel in his wake with modern transportation, where he and his troops had to endure the hardships of weather and terrain as they progressed on foot!

      Delete